Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let's take the long way around the world...

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to spend the day with sisters in Christ at a women's conference.  The speakers there were amazing.  Their testimonies took my breath away.  Heart breaking to supernatural.  One of my mentors shared how she trusted God and knew Him well but asked for many, many, many years one question:

Why?  Why does God do the things He does? 

I think some of us are more curious to know why He doesn't seem to do the things He is clearly capable of. 

During our discussion we walked with the children of Israel from slavery through the wilderness and into the promised land.  We learned the Hebrew word for slavery is to thwart, to frustrate, to make low or make submissive. In Exodus 1:11-14 the Egyptian Pharaoh is oppressing the Israelites with forced labor and blatant busy work so that they will be frustrated, weak and unable to fight back.  The Pharaoh is distracting them from God's Truth.

But God shows up a few chapters later and reassures His children saying: "I will bring you out from under the yoke, I will free you, I will take you as my own people and I will be your God.  Then you will know, I am the Lord."  (paraphrasing Exodus 6:6-8).

I was very surprised to learn who led God's chosen ones into the wilderness.  It was God Himself.  There was a shorter route from slavery to the promised land but the shorter way involved facing war and God knew that the people might change their minds and return to Egypt.  So in order to protect and prepare His people God took them the long way around.

Are you enslaved by something or someone?  

Do you feel that God is leading you on a journey that could easily be a weekend road trip but instead is turning into a longer season of your life?  Could He be protecting or preparing you for something greater?

I would love to hear about it.

PS - not sure if you've realized that I'm drawn to song titles rather than blog titles!!  Is that bugging anyone else but me?  HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment