Thursday, May 26, 2011

Weeds


I really need to wash my truck.  And mow the yard.


Kidding, kidding.  (Ok, I do need to wash my truck.)  But I spent my morning mowing and pulling weeds.  My yard is in the progress of being transformed and recently we tilled the entire backyard and laid sod in a certain pattern.  Now we need to go back and fill in the giant dirt patches with beds and shrubs and flowers and mulch and river rock and...  you get the picture.  PS - this picture is not of my yard, or my truck.

In those giant dirt patches there have been weeds sprouting.  And so I strapped on my gardening gloves and went to work.  The weed pulling today was actually a lot of fun!  Because we had tilled recently the weeds that were there didn't have strong root systems.  They came right up with a gently pull.  Joy!

As I was working I couldn't help but think about how sin in our lives is like a weed.  When we let little sins stay they tend not to stay little.  They grow.  And the roots dig deep.  If ignored, weeds can take over an entire yard (or truck as shown above) and kill everything living in their path.  Sin grows and spreads like a disease and can take over your life.  It can damage your health, your relationships, your finances, your faith.  

I'm suggesting that we keep our noses in the Word of God and keep our prayer lives active in order to weed the sin out of our lives.  And when it does sprout up - it will be much easier to pull by the roots and get rid of.  

Song of Solomon 2:15

15 Catch for us the foxes,
   the little foxes
that ruin the vineyards,
   our vineyards that are in bloom.

(Foxes.  Weeds.  You get the idea.)

Say your prayers,
Sweet dreams,
I love you,
Goodnight!

Denise


No comments:

Post a Comment